I can't believe how busy my life has become since becoming an adult. It wasn't an overnight transformation of going from my comfortable home school schedule to a fast pace college, and working world lifestyle. Rather, it was a subtle change, and the change was like that of a little caterpillar wrapped up in his ca coon. He doesn't turn into a butterfly overnight yet slowly but surely, minute by minute things are changing even though he and those looking on can see no outward change. What must it be like to go from crawling on your tummy to one day waking up and realizing that you have wings?
It's a slow process, a transformation, a miracle and yet that is the way it is in life. We all started out as tiny little babies, turning into cute little toddlers, and somehow in the midst of all of this turning into adults. The process is slow, it doesn't happen overnight and the mindset changes. Even though I've only been an adult for just a few years in comparison to those older than myself my mind sometimes longs for the simple days of childhood. Those days when I had no worries about pell grants for college, working full-time, paying cell phone and insurance bills, wondering what it is that I'm becoming in life, wondering who I am turning into?
Those carefree days of dreaming what it would be like when I was finally all grown up, what I would do with my life, what I would actually be when I grew up, who I would marry, the house I would someday live in.....Those sweet memories of simple child like trust in my parents, a sweet love for humanity, a pure faith in God. Slowly though, the memories fade and I find myself in the middle of all those, once thought of, childhood dreams and if I could turn back the hands of time of time I believe I would go back, at least for a little while. I would go back to the peace and security I would feel at bedtime when I would close my eyes and my dad would gently stroke my head with his hand, the joy of playing outside in the summer all day long, the sweetness of my mom's hugs and kisses, the pure delight of following my dad around the yard at dusk to look for crawdad holes....the list could go on and on. All of these are just memories now forever locked in my memory. As I near the end of another year of life and look forward to the next I look forward with great anticipation of full filling more of my goals and dreams yet as I look forward my heart aches at what I've left behind. The joys of becoming a woman mixed with the pain of leaving my childhood forever behind and the older I get the more I see how true that is. Yet the beauty of being a christian is that while I may not be a child anymore I can lean on my Heavenly Father in the same way that I leaned on my earthly parents as a child. The peace and joy I felt as a little girl doesn't have to leave because Jesus will always keep me safe in His arms.
There is a song by Plumb entitled "Safe In My Arms" that is written from the perspective of a mother to her child and I can't help but realize that this is the same way God feels towards us....
(In My Arms-Plumb)
Your baby blues
So full of wonder
Your curly cues
Your contagious smile
And as i watch you start to grow up
All I can do is hold you tight
Knowing clouds will rage
And storms will race in
But you will be safe in my arms
Rains will pour down
Waves will crash all around
But you will be safe in my arms
Story books are full of fairy tales
Of kings and queens and the bluest skies
My heart is torn just in knowing
You'll someday see the truth from lies
When the clouds will rage and
Storms will race in
But you will be safe in my arms
Rains will pour down
Waves will crash all around
But you will be safe in my arms
Castles, they might crumble
Dreams may not come true
But you are never all alone
'cause I will always
Always love you
When the clouds will rage
And storms will race in
But you will be safe in my arms
Rains will pour down
Waves will crash all around
But you will be safe in my arms
In my arms
14 comments:
I know exactly how you feel, Jebby dear:) I too have longed for those days of childhood; wishing I could turn back the hands of time and enjoy being a child instead of trying to grow up so fast.
I couldn't wait to be "all grown up," but now, I wish I hadn't rushed through my childhood, but relished it. I think that is the best advice I could ever give a young child: Follow Jesus with all your heart and don't try to hurry and grow up.:) Love you Jebby dear!
I know exactly how you feel Jebby dear. I too have longed for those days of childhood, long-since vanished; wishing that I had relished my chilhood days instead of pushing passed them in an attempt to grow up!
I now see the value of those days of innocence, simplicity, and pure bliss. If I had that chance to turn back the hands of time? I don't know if I would, maybe for a day, just to recapture those moments.
Mandie~
Ugg... You had to remind me about the insurance...
I never wanted to grow up - I always knew I had it good. In an attempt to keep it that way I've adopted this motto:
Work as though work will always be there - live as though you won't.
Besides, there's tons of benefits to being independent too. To name one, when I was a kid I couldn't have posted this comment, because I'd have been in bed 3 1/2 hrs ago...
Wow, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels like this sometimes...
I love the motto, Brandon. Thanks...Yeah, there are benefits to being independent, lol, and I love the independence adulthood brings for sure..hey, you know your gonna be tired going to bed so late!!!!!! lol
Hey there, Jebby dear! I see that you have gotten some response to your "Safe in My arms." Well, independence can be a benefit...but it can be a death trap if we don't let God lead us in our independence. I'm by no means accusing anyone...well, I am actually...myself;) Love you dear<3
I'm so glad that finally after all these years of blogging I'm actually getting some responses!!! This is great!
Yeah, I'm feeling a little better with my birthday past and everything but 24 sounds so old!!! No, really my brithday was great and I'm happy to be independent and older.lol
Hi, I just happened upon your blog. I really like the 'Safe in my arms' song lyrics in this post; really touched my heart. :) You are right, we are safe in God's arms.
Hi Spring,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and I hope that you were blessed!
Blessings,
Jessica
You sound wise beyond your years.
LOL, thank you for listing the name of the song and the aritst I was looking for it forever!
I probably wont be back on this boards, but you have any useful feedback on finding christian songs please feel free to contact me via email.
Thank you again!
Imtiaz.Gafoor@Gmail.com
I am very impressed with your page, young lady! What a beautiful testimony. I found your page when I was looking for lyrics to the Safe In my Arms song. I think we all wanted to grow up too fast and look back...but remember Isaiah's advice: "Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder the things of the past. For behold, I am going to do a new thing; now it will spring forth. Will you not be aware of it?" (Is 43:18)Every stage of life, with our God will be precious. He promises He will be with us through joyful season and those not-so-joyful, so stay close to God and keep serving Him!
Another mom of a homeschool graduate!
womanofabel@gmail.com
Thanks everyone for stopping by and being blessed!
I am so glad i heard this song..my beautiful blue eyed blonde will be graduating high school this may and leaving for college. This is the beginning of a new chapter for her and for me. I pray everyday that the reality of life does not discourage her. I am thankful for my daughter every day. She is the reason i wake up everyday. I pray the Lord will keep her safe in his arms.
God Bless You Ami and your precious daughter!
Post a Comment