Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"Do you love me because I am beautiful, or am I beautiful because you love me?"

"Do you love me because I am beautiful, or am I beautiful because you love me?" ~Cinderella



Relationships are an awesome part of God's plan and love is a beautiful gift that He created. Relationships can be more than romance, they can be deep friendships, brother/sister relationships with people close to us. I don't know that I have ever really appreciated the true love of friendship until now. I think, unfortunately, sometimes in life it takes tragedy, pain, and sorrow to bring about a true appreciation for the things that should mean so much like friendship. I don't know that I ever really valued friendship as much as I do now. When you are in a crisis it is then that you begin to realize who your true friends are..It's amazing! I found the above quote from Cinderella very interesting. I haven't watched Cinderella for years and years but I came across the quote yesterday and I just could not get it out of my mind. "Do you love me because I am beautiful, or am I beautiful because you love me?" Am I loved by my friends because of what I may or may not look like or by what I do or don't have, or by the talents that I have or do not posses. Or do they love for me, for who I really am, an imperfect, human being? Does their love for this imperfect human being turn that imperfect human being into something beautiful in their eyes? When I love something it has value where before it didn't have the same value in my eyes. Hmm...something to think about. I can't help but wonder if that is the way it is with us and God. When God looks at me, He can see right through the nice person I try to portray that I am, the smile on my face, the courtesy I use on the phone in the office. He sees the imperfect person that I am. He sees the real me, the unworthy sinner, He sees everything that I try so hard to hide. How then can I become beautiful in His eyes? John 3:16 says it so incredibly well. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." I like to break that down to my level.. "For God so loved me, that He gave His only begotten Son, that if I believe on Him I can live with Him someday forever." He gave His Son for me because of the deep love He has for me! I am beautiful because He loves me! It's so awesome to know that if not one person on the face of planet really loves me for who I am that I have a God in Heaven that knows how unworthy I am but loves me as if I was perfectly perfect. I'm so grateful for the love of friends and for the undying love that Christ Jesus has for me. It's when I accept His love that I am truly beautiful.

4 comments:

Eagle said...

Jessica, you are beautiful no matter what the reasons are.

Unknown said...

You are too kind, Mrs. Arakawa! Thanks for stopping by!!!

Unknown said...

Love what you wrote.So pure...
Love reading the bible also.

Teresa

Unknown said...

jessica, sorry my asking but:Are you a jehova´ s witness?
I m from portugal and just love what u wrote cause it is not that common.

tn.ourem@gmail.com