Monday our teacher put a movie on in English class called "Into the Wild" based on a true story of a guy named Christofer Mccandless who left everything after graduating college. I wasn't thrilled to watch the movie for class and honestly I was pretty leery to watch it since I am very selective with what I watch anyway but with that experience over and wanting to cry since it had a really sad ending with Chris dying my teacher wanted us to write a paper of what our "Into the Wild" experience would be like. Since my dream is for foreign mission work I decided to write about my experience future tense after graduating nursing school about what it might look like. I titled it: "Into My Wild."
“Into My Wild”
The words still ringing in my ears, the certificate of nursing in my hands, trading graduation cap and gown for a back pack, bandana, and flip flops I sort through my check list, checking it rechecking it. Everything is laid out on my bed as I check each item off. My nursing gear, charcoal and medicines, head lamp, first aid kit, germ-x, definitely can’t forget the germ-x. The list goes on. Only the most necessary items, the most practical clothes, mud boots, rain gear, insect repellant, mosquito net, oh yeah, passport.
Forget the curling iron, blow dryer, high heels, and clear nail polish to make my nails look perfect, those things just won’t be necessary where I’m going. In fact, they are only trimmings and trappings binding me to a culture where vanity is God. Besides, there won’t be electricity anyways and even though I love looking nice it won’t matter where I’m headed. Other things are more important.
I look at the calendar, tomorrow, the day I leave. As I finish stuffing the last necessary items into my luggage that will fit I reach for my Bible, can’t forget my Bible. I’ll put that in my back pack. Excitement has given way to some restless nervousness as everything is starting to set in. I take a deep breath, Okay God, I’m ready!
2 comments:
McCandless's story is tragic, but then so many people have benefited from hearing it... a couple of years of hitchhiking and camping made a story that now challenges thousands (millions?) of people to reexamine their lives
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I guess the reason I wasn't thrilled with the movie was with the nudity that was in the movie. I'm not a fan of movies with nudity so naturally it is going to turn me off. The story was challenging and it got me really thinking about my own life and it spurred me on to write about what I would like my own into the wild to be like. It's a good movie, minus the nudity. Thanks again for stopping by and God Bless!
Post a Comment