I thought I would post one of the papers that I have due tomorrow night for English Class. I guess we are going to enter them on an NPR web site. This is the rough draft that is due tomorrow but I thought I would go ahead and share it anyways.
The Dream In My Heart
It all started in my childhood, that little dream planted in my heart from hearing my Mother read to me about the missionaries in far off countries. How they worked so hard, labored long, and helped those who were not lovable and who didn’t appreciate the missionary’s sacrifice. The self sacrifice of giving up home, comforts, lovers and friends, forsaking all they knew and setting forth to unknown territory to help people less fortunate than themselves.
As I grew older the dream of wanting to be a missionary to a far off country would sometimes fade away but it never fully died. Down deep in my heart, a love for those people I had heard about in the childhood stories had been planted within my heart and nothing could stop the roots from taking hold. The desire would become so strong after seeing a program on TV about orphans left to take care of themselves on the streets of Romania or of the starving people of Africa that would walk miles and miles to get help for their families. The distended bellies of their babies and the mere skin and bones of the parents broke my heart and as I would continue to watch my heart would brake and tears would find their way down my cheeks.
After being privileged to go on a few mission trips, one to Romania and the other to the mountains of Mexico I have made my decision. The roots have taken over my heart and I’m preparing myself to go and help those who cannot help themselves. Becoming a nurse hasn’t been my most favored choice as a profession but I see the benefits that becoming a nurse would have on making a difference in the life of a person in desperate need. I don’t yet know when or to where or for how long I will use my Nursing skills in another country after I am through with college but I do know that I am preparing myself. I am preparing myself to do the unthinkable, to go to the unreachable, and to live the ultimate dream planted in my heart so long ago.
2 comments:
Thank you for sharing your heart. I stand with you... to do the unthinkable, and to reach the unreachable. Will be praying for you.
Noel
Hi Noel,
Thanks for stopping by again and thank you for your encouragment!!
Blessings,
Jessica
Post a Comment